Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Central Florida MQG Quilt Challenge

While it seems like I haven't been doing much sewing or quilting, in fact I have, but just haven't been able to share it. That's the downside of participating in a quilt challenge when a reveal date is set and other quilters are voting on their anonymous favorite. There's no sharing on social media.

The upside of participating in a quilt challenge is pushing oneself to design and implement an original creation. That's certainly not my strong suit! But I keep banging my head against a brick wall...  Err. Trying.

For the latest Central Florida Modern Quilt Guild challenge, we were to first bring to a meeting any non-quilting magazine. Well that was a tough one to begin with as I don't subscribe to any magazines! But happily, members brought along several different ones to share. I chose this, the April 2017 issue of Real Simple. 

Then, we were to look at pages 48 through 52, and choose a page from which to take inspiration to make a quilt. Our quilt design concept could be gleaned from any of the page's elements - colors, shapes, and such - and the quilt could be made any size we wished.


This L'Oreal ad for Wrinkle Expert cream on page 49 spoke to me. I mean, the topic was wrinkles for goodness sake! The second was the colors - royal blue, fuchsia and purple. I also liked how the curved colors darkened and lightened.

My last bit of inspiration was from the Wayward Transparency Quilt made by Yvonne Fuchs (QuiltingJetGirl). I've been long-enchanted with transparency quilts, and at the time I started this challenge I was choosing fabrics for Yvonne's Wayward Transparency Quilt Along. I applied Yvonne's color/value lesson to choosing values for my challenge quilt.

I made the curved pieces using the Quick Curve Ruler, and was happily surprised that the design went together rather quickly. Guess that's what comes of creating minimalistic. Here's a black and white photo of the quilt so you can see the values.

I positioned the colors to match the ad. 

As I've said, my skill is not in designing, and I continued to question my choices. I decided to email the above picture to a long-distance friend (I've never met her in person) who I implicitly trust when it comes to anything quilting related. After all, she's a past QuiltCon award winner, among other talents! Paige (QuiltedBlooms) replied with several helpful suggestions.

Mentioning that artists give weight to color, she suggested I rotate the quilt 180-degrees to position the darkest values at the bottom. Then, she drew on the picture I'd sent and returned it drawn with simple quilting lines. I modified it only slightly.
Wrinkles Fade Away
Paige also suggested the name that I immediately latched onto. Thank you for all your help, Paige!

Batting is Quilter's Dream Wool which I love for the dimension it gives to quilting which is entirely walking foot quilting done on my Bernina. 

Whatever colors of thread I had on hand that came close to each color and value - Aurifil, Mettler and Prescencia - were used for quilting.

Binding is pieced to match the color changes that happen on the quilt front. I used my No Tails Binding method, of course!

"Wrinkles Fade Away"
Finished October 2017
30-1/2" wide X 39-1/2"
Fabrics: mostly Painter's Palette solids, and some Kona solid
Batting: Quilter's Dream Wool 
Threads: Aurifil, Mettler and Prescencia.
Quilt label has a photo of the magazine page.
Wrinkles Fade Away was revealed at the Central Florida MQG meeting on Monday evening, November 13. Eleven modern quilts were shown and members voted for their three favorites. I placed second, and I'm feelin' pretty happy about that!
First place on right; third place on left.
Linda

16 comments:

  1. Well done, to all! What a difference simply rotating the quilt made. And the walking foot quilting is impressive. Your quilt has lots of movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiration you are Linda! Your quilt is fabulous! I love the subtle color change and the quilting! Who said you can design quilts?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a challenge! You interpreted your quilt very well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your design! That Paige is something else - so talented. Lucky me! She's in my MQG - in fact we sewed together today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowie, this is soooo cool and really good.
    This was quite a challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous!! I think your designer skills are really good. Your quilting on your challenge piece is amazing. Is the 1st place winner on YOUR Left?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really awesome! I have never heard of a challenge like yours - very interesting! And what a clever and beautiful design you created. I think it's very cool! Oh and I love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LINDA, you did an incredible job! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, it's fantastic! Congratulations on 2nd place! It's always fun to see suggestions work out! I was so honored you asked my opinion, because you're a rock star in my book! I'll have to remember that challenge idea for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness Linda - this could not have been more fun to read about!! You did great! Who thought up the guidelines for this challenge? I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! The quilting is very serene, like gentle waves with a gorgeous sunset in the background. The Orlando MQG sure knows how to rise to a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you sell yourself short! I think the design is stunning! Congratulations on 2nd place......I'd have voted on yours for 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like how this turned out and I agree with everyone that says you don't have an eye for design. You most certainly do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done my friend. We are finishing a guild challenge Monday night so we’ll see if I won a prize. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried to post on this while waiting in the Seoul Airport to come home, but it didn't go through, so I'm doing it again in order to tell you I think you did an amazing job, both in the execution of it, as well as the quilting. What a treasure (and I would have voted for it to be #1)!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin