Saturday, August 13, 2016

Finished Mini Trees

The last time I blogged about this Mini Trees project was February 2. I haven't mentioned the piece since then even though it's finished. That's because it was meant as a gift to a family member who sometimes reads my blog. I have no doubt that you all know the meaning of "secret sewing," and "sneak peeks."

Well, the wall hanging has been given, so I'm free to share it. Mostly I want to share about the quilting of it, as this was one of the last quilts I was able to quilt on my Pfaff Grand Quilter without threads breaking and stitches skipping. If you need a refresher about that saga, read it here.

I took my quilting cues from the quilt made by Sew Kind of Wonderful. This is a free pattern using SKoW's Mini Quick Curve Ruler. See it here. First I echo quilted the shape of the tree. Then I filled each tree with different patterns.

The skinny loops in the beige-colored tree were easy to quilt.

I had never tried this checkerboard background quilting, and though I totally love the effect of it, it is a bit time consuming to accomplish. That's why I quilted the checkerboard only on this burgundy-colored tree block!


In this picture you can peep the Quilter's Dream recycled batting - called "Dream Green" - that I used. It's made from recycled plastic bottles. I like it a lot! It feels like cotton, and is relatively inexpensive compared to cotton batting. You just have to make sure you're using it behind a quilt top through which green batting won't show!


The finished 35-1/2" X 46" quilt is ready to hang on the wall at our son's house.

Though I think it would be okay for a year-'round quilt, they plan to hang it at Christmastime. Linda

14 comments:

  1. What a nice gift! That quilting on the red tree block does look very time consuming but what a great way to make that one block stand out. It looks great!! Everything about this is very understated and modern. Just right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty pattern Linda. The one red tree makes it striking but your quilting, as always, adds the sparkle. I know your son and his family will love having it. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's quite lovely, Linda! Enjoyed seeing all the different quilting on it. I've done that checkerboard on a few small pieces and it always looks so nice. Enjoy your evening! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! And why is the batting green?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gift!!! Very nice!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this quilt Linda! But I especially love the pretty green you chose, and the elegant tree shape! Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt. Your quilting is always supreme. I am curious though, do you stop and start quilting as you move around the quilt or do you quilt over existing quilting to get to the next space. I have trouble with the stop and start over - always seems to leave an ugly tack stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course I like how you are making this. Thanks for the heads up about the green batting. I will look for some. Thanks for the link to the pattern too.
    I like your quilting designs also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your trees look great - especially enhanced with your wonderful quilting style,congratulations on another wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the quilting motifs you put on each tree and the wonderful backgrounds. That woven background was well worth the time it took you to do it. I totally understand that you might not want to do a whole quilt with it, but it is fantastic looking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your quilting on this and I had never seen this batting - cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful little quilt and gave you lots of room to express your lovely quilting. I really like the checkerboard effect in the background of the red tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute! And look at you, its ready months before the holidays. I do have a top done for gifting but I need to get backing made and send it off to quilter. I am just not up to quilting a big top...not yet and probably never...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfection in quilting, one more time. Love this simple banner made special with your quilting--good for you in getting the Christmas quilting done early!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin